Explore Costa Rica
San Jose, Sarapiqui, La Fortuna-Arenal Volcano, Tenorio Volcano Park/Rio Celeste, and Playa Blanca
July 10-26, 2019
Beautiful, verdant Costa Rica has a well-deserved reputation as the #1 destination in Central America for students looking for an ecologically and culturally rich travel adventure.
Begin your journey in San Jose, and travel northeast to the Sarapiqui region where rust red-orange earth meets vibrant jade green water in the heart of thick, lush rainforests where butterflies swoop and the sounds of cicadas echo all around. Sarapiqui is considered to be one of the world's most important research stations for tropical rainforests and you will have the unique oportunity to live in the midst of the rainforest at a unique tented lodge at the entrance to Braulio Carillo National Park. At this private reserve, enjoy eco-adventures and volunteer in the local community, all while immersing yourself in the magic of the rainforest.
Continue your exploration of Costa Rica's rich biodiversity and travel north to La Fortuna-Arenal, a charming town that lies at the base of the country's most notable georgraphic feature: the mighty Arenal Volcano. Although now in a dormant phase, Arenal offers unparalled opportunities for eco-hikes and viewing the flora and fauna that inhabit the region such as monkeys, sloths and over 500 species of birds. A highlight will be your time spent volunteering at dog rescue sanctuary where you can bottle feed puppies and help build a new animal enclosure!
Tenorio Volcano National Park is a world above the rest of the country and consists of four volcano peaks and two craters. It's a place of cloud forests and the famous Celeste River, a hyper-pigmented turquoise river that winds through the Park leading to hot springs, waterfalls, lagoons and panoramic vistas. In addition to the cloud forest, half of the park is rain forest, which leads to an abundance of bio-diversity. You'll discover all this and more on hikes along the lovely Celeste River.
End your trip on one of the most beautiful beaches along the entire Pacific coast! While in Playa Blanca, you'll stay at a genuine forest resort with beachfront access. Playa Blanca's white sand beach is consistently rated one of the most authentic and least "touristy" beach areas in Costa Rica, while still offering all the amenities you could want. You'll enjoy beach "Olympics", visit to a butterfly sanctuary, a beach volleyball tournament, and forest hikes in a vast private nature sanctuary.
Come and experience Costa Rica's natural magnificence this summer on this journey that will truly show you the real Costa Rica!
Program Fee Includes:
- Round-trip airfare from Toronto to San Jose, Costa Rica on Air Transat
- All transfers via private coach
- Accommodations in centrally located Eco lodges and hotels
- Ontario High School Credit
- 20 hours of volunteer hours
- Licensed guides at national parks for all eco-hikes
- Camping adventure in Sarapiqui at eco-lodge
- Costa Rica cooking class
- Dance classes (learn or perfect some latino moves!)
- Chocolate tour and tasting
- Horseback riding in Sarapiqui rainforest
- Zip-line canopy tour of the rain forest
- Butterfly farm and sanctuary tour
- Volunteer at animal sanctuary and dog rescue centre
- Envoironmental stewardship volunteer hours at a reforestation project
- Pre-departure briefing and material
- Online and in-class programme prior to departure (5 days)